Wednesday, January 5, 2011

5/365

Traditions...
We all have traditions that we were brought up doing and it is so interesting to me to see how different people have different traditions. I have lived in the south for the past 24 years, excluding 1 year that we lived in Nebraska and my husband is from the Midwest and has lived there his whole life up until he was 18 years old. Now that we have our own family, we have started our own traditions to do with Brendan but I enjoy implementing traditions that I was raised doing and traditions that my husband was raised doing into what we do with Brendan.
New Years dinner.....YUMMY!!!!!! I didn't realize it but for the most part, having the ham, black eyed peas, and leafy veggies for your 1st dinner in the new year is a southern tradition. We are having our New years dinner a little late due to Rob working and then us having the stomach virus but better late than never, although I did have a traditional dinner at my Moms house on the 1st. When I told Rob I was making the traditional New years dinner tonight he had no clue what I was talking about! That is definitely a tradition that I was raised doing and will continue to do that with Brendan.
Although Rob, Brendan, and I go to a Methodist church, Rob was born and raised Catholic and will always consider Catholicism his religion. The reason we go to the Methodist church is because we feel it is important to go to church together and worship as a family and we want Brendan to be raised with a church home but I will discuss that in a later post. Anyways, one tradition that he did growing up was during the Christmas season, on St. Nicholas day he and his siblings would leave their shoes out for St. Nicholas to fill. I think that is the neatest idea and he didn't tell me about it until recently so we will definitely start that tradition next year!! We have several other traditions for different holidays but I just wanted to talk about a couple. I just love how every family is different and how each family has their own unique things that they do whether it be due to your religion or "just because". Here's hoping my ham turns out good, it sure is making the house smell yummy!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment